The news item is shown below. Red News VIPs can scroll down and enjoy. (VIP is £14.00 a year, includes full access to chat forums + free mag). Otherwise you'll need to click read more.

As a Red News VIP. You see the news all in one go, on one scrollable page with each item show in full without having to click read more, plus being a VIP gives you other benefits too ... access to forums, a free fanzine and more ... http://www.rednews.co.uk/vip.php

”Dimitar was a player I really rated a lot,”

“I was with him in the national team. He’s a very humble, down-to-earth guy, a real fighter and someone who made history in Bulgarian football. He played for CSKA Sofia at a very young age, and then he moved to Bayer Leverkusen and then on to Tottenham. And then, of course, to United."

”Step by step, he gradually became a great player. For me, Dimitar was a role model for other young Bulgarian players - Stiliyan Petrov, Martin Petrov, Valeri Bojinov.

”That crop of youngsters who left to play in English football. I’m very happy because I have a really close friendship with Berbatov, Stiliyan and Martin Petrov, because I had those players when I was manager of the Bulgarian national side.

”It was easy for me to be with them, coach them and experience the good things in football with them.”

“Berbatov was a really decisive player here,”

“He was the English league’s leading scorer, he had the Golden Shoe didn’t e? Winning leagues and cups is really great. "

“It’s really quite unique because he lives here, he has a house in Manchester and he’s a well-loved person and I have a lot of time for him.”