PDA

View Full Version : [9] Nick Powell has no regrets about joining Manchester United and talks of the burden of it all

Red News
22-02-2016, 04:05 PM
4/1 Man United to beat Shrewsbury Town - New Customer Exclusive

http://ads.betfair.com/redirect.aspx?pid=11715&bid=1861

"I don't have regrets. You never know what is going to happen in the future, I did not know Fergie was going to retire, or my injuries would come as much as they did. I did not deal with them right but at the end of the day, I did not know how to deal with them. I have been through all that and it was a big learning curve. The whole superstardom thing was never in my mind. It was more of a burden. It is what got to me the most I think. You have to earn your chance and earn other people's trust. If I am honest the whole football scene changes when you make that step up. In League Two, you can lead a pretty normal life. It is not a glamorous life but then you go to the Premier League and the little things can be said and you're in the paper for it. It was a big slap in the face when some things went wrong but that is football. You get the accolades but also the bad publicity as well."

I had never really been injured until I went to United and I think that step up was not monitored properly between me and the staff, as in the jump between League Two and the Premier League. I think that was the biggest shock to my body, if anything, and then obviously the whole football scene changes when you go from League Two and do what you want, living pretty much a normal life. It is not a glamorous life in League Two and then going to the Premiership where the littlest thing can be said and you're in the paper for it. 'It was a big, big slap in the face when some things went wrong, but, like I said, that's all about football. You get the accolades when you want it and the bad publicity when you don't want it.

I have read papers, I have read quotes. Ive read pretty much everything said about me and I am not a dumb, little kid any more like I used to be and just did what I want, basically. I've not realised... it's more that you have got to play the game in some sort of way, the football game - you can't say certain things, you can't do certain things I feel like I have been perceived as a lost cause, a maverick and things like that. I feel that is not the truth, but the only way to show that is to play my football and to show people that I am back, not just injury-prone, a nuisance or whatnot. I am here to prove football is what I want to do and that I am going to reach the heights that I was meant to make.