PDA

View Full Version : Everton Away - match talk/coverage

redlester
18-04-2014, 12:13 PM
No thread for this yet? Has everyone lost interest?

Mowgli - what's the inside word from Everton fans on what sort of reception Moyes will get? Pundits on Guardian podcast expected him to be welcomed, but I'm anticipating them ridiculing him!

Esquilax
18-04-2014, 12:49 PM
No thread for this yet? Has everyone lost interest?

Mowgli - what's the inside word from Everton fans on what sort of reception Moyes will get? Pundits on Guardian podcast expected him to be welcomed, but I'm anticipating them ridiculing him!

I met an Everton ST holder recently (my best mate is also an Everton fan but not a match-goer), and he said Moyes will get serious abuse. When he first left, Everton fans were very favourably disposed towards him and appreciated the ten years of good work, but apparently some of the comments Moyes made during the summer courting of Baines and Fellaini have outraged the natives. Apparently he said things like Baines and Fellaini need to make the step up to a "big club"...

I can't be arsed trawling through the news archives to see if he actually said that, but that's what their beef is, and as I said, Moyes can expect a vitriolic reception.

buttevant_red
18-04-2014, 12:52 PM
I met an Everton ST holder recently (my best mate is also an Everton fan but not a match-goer), and he said Moyes will get serious abuse. When he first left, Everton fans were very favourably disposed towards him and appreciated the ten years of good work, but apparently some of the comments Moyes made during the summer courting of Baines and Fellaini have outraged the natives. Apparently he said things like Baines and Fellaini need to make the step up to a "big club"...

I can't be arsed trawling through the news archives to see if he actually said that, but that's what their beef is, and as I said, Moyes can expect a vitriolic reception.

It was along the lines of "If I was still manager of Everton and Sir Alex wanted Baines and Fellaini, I would have found it very difficult to keep them"

I'd love to see United do them on Sunday.

Esquilax
18-04-2014, 12:53 PM
It was along the lines of "If I was still manager of Everton and Sir Alex wanted Baines and Fellaini, I would have found it very difficult to keep them"

I'd love to see United do them on Sunday.

That reflects worse on him than Everton!

willo
18-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Confident we'll beat them on Sunday. My sights are firmly set on 5th place, avoiding the disruption of the Europa league qualifying rounds on the back of the WC and tour. Big test for Moyes though, will be a tough day for him regardless and the players really need to step up for him on Sunday.

buttevant_red
18-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Confident we'll beat them on Sunday. My sights are firmly set on 5th place, avoiding the disruption of the Europa league qualifying rounds on the back of the WC and tour. Big test for Moyes though, will be a tough day for him regardless and the players really need to step up for him on Sunday.

We'll learn everything we need to know about which players are with him and which aren't on Sunday.

redlester
18-04-2014, 02:10 PM
We'll learn everything we need to know about which players are with him and which aren't on Sunday.

Well we know that as supporters we certainly aren't - although we will do the usual loyal supporters thing and back him and the team to the hilt during the game. But is there anyone other than Jasper or Tacconi who wouldn't prefer him gone? Tonight if possible?

*mowgli*
18-04-2014, 02:25 PM

I think he'll get some shit - although not justified imho. Most right-thinking Everton fans seem to appreciate what he did for them but definitely felt that he had reached a ceiling to the extent that most were quite happy to see him go.

Football fans are fickle-fuckers (ooh that's like an offensive tongue-twister!) and if they are really jumping on his back just over those few comments in the summer then I think that's incredibly harsh (so does my dad and mate). But jump on his back they will. I suspect the majority of the crowd will offer genuine (but muted) applause but be overshadowed by the vocal minority.

Keano's Magic Hat
18-04-2014, 02:31 PM
I think he'll get some shit - although not justified imho. Most right-thinking Everton fans seem to appreciate what he did for them but definitely felt that he had reached a ceiling to the extent that most were quite happy to see him go.

Football fans are fickle-fuckers (ooh that's like an offensive tongue-twister!) and if they are really jumping on his back just over those few comments in the summer then I think that's incredibly harsh (so does my dad and mate). But jump on his back they will. I suspect the majority of the crowd will offer genuine (but muted) applause but be overshadowed by the vocal minority.

its actually Alliteration

*mowgli*
18-04-2014, 02:34 PM
its actually Alliteration

so it is!

Mezza2
18-04-2014, 02:47 PM
If I remember rightly, he was ridiculed by their fans when Everton came to OT, and that was only 3000 of them, so I'd expect serious abuse at Goodison, particularly now they think they're going to qualify for CL. Let's face it, Martinez has motivated them in a way Moyes seemingly never could.
We'll just have to beat them.

buttevant_red
18-04-2014, 02:49 PM
If I remember rightly, he was ridiculed by their fans when Everton came to OT, and that was only 3000 of them, so I'd expect serious abuse at Goodison, particularly now they think they're going to qualify for CL. Let's face it, Martinez has motivated them in a way Moyes seemingly never could.
We'll just have to beat them.

Moyes motivated them to the CL something Martinez hasn't done yet and won't do this year. The Palace defeat has done them.

Red News
18-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Phil Neville reckons United can catch Everton in the league this season

"They have got a tough run and it starts against us on Sunday. They have got Southampton away and Manchester City at home. We believe we can win all our matches and all we can control is our own destiny. It means we need to win five out of five and finish the season with a bang. We've not consistently produced throughout the rest of the season so that's the aim and the challenge we have set the players. They're in good form, are all bubbly, and have had a good week's training. They are all looking forward to the game on Sunday."

Red News
18-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Roberto Martinez wants to do the Double over United as he hopes David Moyes gets a good reaction from the Everton fans

http://www.lduhtrp.net/image-2051413-10416537 (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2051413-10416537)

"Facing the champions is a big enough reason to be excited and to make sure we've got the best possible environment at Goodison. Having the opportunity to do the double on United is something that is not easy to achieve, and then there is the return of David Moyes. We are a club full of integrity and style, we are a proper football club, so we will show the respect to David Moyes for what he's done here. I'm sure they will. His job at Everton deserves that. His work has been terrific. We all know he's the Manchester United manager now but as a former Everton manager, every Evertonian has got great memories of the job that he did."

Jasper
18-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Well we know that as supporters we certainly aren't - although we will do the usual loyal supporters thing and back him and the team to the hilt during the game. But is there anyone other than Jasper or Tacconi who wouldn't prefer him gone? Tonight if possible?

I'm still on the fence tbh.

I just blame the players more than the manager and think our problems are a mixture of a few things. But I just won't accept its down to one man.

I think we're in this position due to the manager, the players, the owners, woodward, injuries and some bad refs decisions.

I said I'll judge him after 3 years to be fair to him. If he's sacked tomorrow then it's been an absolute shocker for him and us. In 3 years we could look back and say it was a waste of 3 years or we could say that first year was shite but thank fuck we kept him rather than city who have had 3 managers in 3 years.

Thats just my way. I like to give people time before I judge. Fellaini looks terrible but I won't slate him too much too soon.

Jasper
18-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Moyes motivated them to the CL something Martinez hasn't done yet and won't do this year. The Palace defeat has done them.

I agree.

I think moyes efforts are being overlooked at Everton and martinez' being over played.

Regardless of points martinez hasn't better what moyes has done at everton. Points dont get champions league football. Final positions do and it looks like everton won't catch arsenal now.

mufc-for-life
18-04-2014, 03:06 PM
I'm still on the fence tbh.

I just blame the players more than the manager and think our problems are a mixture of a few things. But I just won't accept its down to one man.

I think we're in this position due to the manager, the players, the owners, woodward, injuries and some bad refs decisions.

I said I'll judge him after 3 years to be fair to him. If he's sacked tomorrow then it's been an absolute shocker for him and us. In 3 years we could look back and say it was a waste of 3 years or we could say that first year was shite but thank fuck we kept him rather than city who have had 3 managers in 3 years.

Thats just my way. I like to give people time before I judge. Fellaini looks terrible but I won't slate him too much too soon.

I respect your stance because it could be true (although I don't think so) I can't respect what you said about Fellaini, he is pure garbage as a CM and should leave.

redlester
18-04-2014, 03:08 PM

Agree completely with this.

But with the right manager providing inspiration and proper tactical ideas we could be loking so much more promising and "upward curve-ish" than the tail-between-the-legs look we've had, even in games we've won.

I agree with giving people time providing they show some spark of quality. I also believe in admitting mistakes as early as possible, if you are convinced.

coggie
18-04-2014, 03:10 PM
I think he'll get some shit from the fans....not so sure about the Everton ones though !!!!

Jasper
18-04-2014, 03:12 PM
I respect your stance because it could be true (although I don't think so) I can't respect what you said about Fellaini, he is pure garbage as a CM and leave with Moyes.

I agree that's how he looks.

But I remember lucas, drogba and probably a few other players I can't think of right now who started off as a laughing stock and came good.

I never rated anderson even when people thought he looked good but I gave him 3 seasons before I really wanted him gone.

If you asked me about fellaini right now to be in one camp I'd be firmly in the "fellaini won't make it" camp. But I'll still give him till next season to prove his worth.

Jasper
18-04-2014, 03:15 PM
I agree with giving people time providing they show some spark of quality. I also believe in admitting mistakes as early as possible, if you are convinced.

Which is why I'd sack him now if they feel they have made the wrong decision. Don't wait.

Put phil Neville in charge for the last few games. Leave giggs out of it. Then when a new man comes let him decide what he wants to do with those two.

Bomber
18-04-2014, 03:15 PM
But I just won't accept its down to one man. I think we're in this position due to the manager, the players, the owners, woodward, injuries and some bad refs decisions.

That may be true about results, but it isn't true about style of play. We've regressed stylistically and tactically, and that is down to Moyes. We have a more defensive and less progressive set up, without being defensively solid. Many of our set ups and team selections have been lacking in creativity.

It's this that had taken me from being where you are to needing convincing he deserves the summer.

mufc-for-life
18-04-2014, 03:18 PM
I agree that's how he looks.

But I remember lucas, drogba and probably a few other players I can't think of right now who started off as a laughing stock and came good.

I never rated anderson even when people thought he looked good but I gave him 3 seasons before I really wanted him gone.

If you asked me about fellaini right now to be in one camp I'd be firmly in the "fellaini won't make it" camp. But I'll still give him till next season to prove his worth.

Major differences with the mentioned players. For starters they were coming from a different league and country, Fellaini has been here for a good five years. Secondly, they had time on their side as they could grow into their potential, Fellaini is 26 I believe. He has no pace or mobility, a terrible touch (for the standard expected), can't pass a ball, can't tackle just concedes free kicks and can't even win balls in the air in midfield. How can anyone say he deserves another season to properly judge him:icon_eek:

Red News
18-04-2014, 03:27 PM
David Moyes - Wayne Rooney is back for Everton

"Wayne Rooney has trained great this week. He is in really good form. Getting him back is a good thing. He just wasn't right with his toe at times in the last game."

Everton squad for Sunday

Howard, Coleman, Distin, Stones, Baines, Barry, McCarthy, Osman, Barkley, Naismith, Lukaku, Robles, Browning, Garbutt, Alcaraz, McGeady, Mirallas, Deulofeu, Hibbert.

David Moyes plays down his return to Goodison Park on Sunday

“First of all, the game is not about me, it's about Everton and Manchester United. I go there as manager of Manchester United and I'm delighted to be that. I was proud to be manager of Everton at that time but my job now is to make sure I get a result for United. The Everton fans were always terrific in my time there – very supportive and always right behind the team. We go there with a great away record and go there trying to keep that going. I know the players at Everton – they are a great group of lads and great professionals who got on with the job and were self-motivated. Over the years, we continued to add players there and it was a great group of young players. The senior group there is very important too. Roberto Martinez has done a brilliant job this year. He's got them playing well and in a good, healthy league position."

David Moyes comes out with that old TRY word as he says he’s still thinking 4th…

“We've said we'll never give in and we won't until we can't do that. Obviously it's nearly mathematically impossible but we're still trying to make it happen if we can. It's a tough game going to Goodison for any team at any time, as I should know, but we go there with a good away record and will try to make that work again. We'll be tested against a team in good form this year and we will have to play very well.”

Red News
18-04-2014, 03:28 PM
He has no pace or mobility, a terrible touch (for the standard expected), can't pass a ball, can't tackle just concedes free kicks and can't even win balls in the air in midfield.

but apart from that....!

mufc-for-life
18-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Quotes from Moyes apparently. Good grief, he doesn't learn "We're looking to make signings and will try to do that... We cannot guarantee it, but will try to make that happen.”

Red News
18-04-2014, 03:33 PM
David Moyes, Rafael out but Fellaini back…

"Felli didn't play against Bayern but we expect him back fit because he has trained all week. Evans is making progress but Rafa is the one player not available."

Red News
18-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Manchester United squad for Sunday

http://www.ftjcfx.com/image-2051413-11392093 (http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-2051413-11392093)

De Gea, Lindegaard, Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Smalling, Evans, Buttner, Evra, Giggs, Carrick, Nani, Young, Fletcher, Valencia, Kagawa, Fellaini, Mata, Januzaj, Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck.

coggie
18-04-2014, 03:39 PM
I think we will get beat tomorrow and that will be the final nail in the Moyes coffin....

Red News
18-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Roberto Martinez on not wanting a nice atmosphere on Sunday

"Marouane Fellaini, Phil Neville and David Moyes are well-known figures at Everton. They will always be respected. But they are now representing Man United and that can't be a nice atmosphere, even if you want it to be. The focus has to be on ourselves and the nice welcoming has to be after the final whistle. I don't think we will have a problem with that balance."

E.S.
19-04-2014, 12:25 PM
We've faced Everton 169 times in the league. Our 2nd most faced (behind Arsenal) league opponent. faced in ever decade since the 1890's

There have been more games with dropped points than we have won, scoring 262 but letting in 242 and only 1 in 3 games with a clean sheet.

Before the 1990's the best win % over a decade we'd achieved was 50%. Along comes Fergie and we get that up to 70-75%

But since 2010 our win rate has dropped back to 43%. Home & away form against them has been inconsistent. and some games have really hurt us

So, hopefully form goes out of the window on Sunday !

more stats are available below

Red News
20-04-2014, 06:44 PM
David Moyes post match Q&A in full transcript to SKY - he thinks we played well!
http://www.rednews.co.uk/subscription.php
http://rednews.bigcartel.com/ T-SHIRTS and more!
http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/index.php
http://www.rednews.co.uk/current-issue.php
http://www.rednews.co.uk/vip.php
http://www.rednews.co.uk/support-red-news.php
http://www.rednews.co.uk/amazon.php
The Red News app on itunes - at http://bit.ly/RedNewsApp
Red News now available for web/iphone/ipad and android use at www.exacteditions.com/rednews (http://www.exacteditions.com/rednews)
The Red News Kindle store http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barney/e/B009N4YJ0Q/

Q. David, clearly a disappointing day for you, what did you make of it?

DM “Yeah it was, we gave away two terrible goals, but prior to that we passed the ball brilliantly well, kept the ball, had great control of the game, what we couldn’t do was make enough chances, but we had great control and we got done by two stupid decisions, well it was a stupid decision to dive in front of the ball in one of them, but two poor goals to give away and both on the break.”

http://www.rednews.co.uk/subscription.php

Q> Was that the big disappointment to you, there wasn’t maybe a cutting edge to go with actually you dominated the ball?

DM “Well if you looked at it we played very well the first half, we came in 2-0 down but we passed the ball really well but we didn’t have a final through pass at times, we didn’t have a final finish when they came and there weren’t many of them, so that was the disappointing part that we just couldn’t do that bit in the final third but I couldn’t fault how they played because we kept the ball incredibly well.”

The Red News app on itunes - at http://bit.ly/RedNewsApp

Q. Did Everton surprise you at all, counter attacking, being more direct, than you expected or do you think the way you played kind of forced that on them>

DM “Well I think they played a bit similar against Arsenal when they got a result the other week, the positions where they put Lukaku allows them to counter attack and sort of weigh on you a little bit, but you know, the job is to win football matches, there’s a lot talked about style but more important is to win and we didn’t do that today.”

The Red News Kindle store http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barney/e/B009N4YJ0Q/

Q. A couple of penalty calls, one obviously went against you, one didn’t get, what did you make of the two of them?

http://www.rednews.co.uk/amazon.php

DM “What one did we not get?”

Q. The one on Buttner, first half?

DM “Yeah, I think the referee was fine, I don’t see, I’ve seen it again, maybe on another day you might get something from it but we didn’t, there’s no argument about their penalty kick.”

Q. That was a penalty, the Phil Jones hand ball?

DM Laughs “Yeah, obviously wasn’t it, aye.”

http://rednews.bigcartel.com/ T-SHIRTS and more!

Q. It does mean, mathmatically, you’ve known it’s been coming for a while, you cannot make the CL next season though you may have seen it coming, how much has it hurt?

DM “It does because it’s part of this club and we want to be in it and we’ll do everything we can to get ourselves back in it as quickly as we can.”

http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp?type(img)g(19824318)a(608750)880451590 (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=18323&a=608750&g=19824318)

http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp?type(img)g(577476)a(608750)124033909 (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=18323&a=608750&g=577476)

Q> Do you now want this season over as quickly as possible to begin building United back to where you believe they belong?

DM “Well, we’ve already done that and we’re doing that behind the scenes now, so we’ll try and do everything we possibly can to get a team which is capable of winning better than we’ve done recently.”

Jamie Carragher asked what he thought of those quotes “I must have watched a different game.”

http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp?type(img)g(21664656)a(608750)658914430 (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=21874&a=608750&g=21664656)

http://impgb.tradedoubler.com/imp?type(img)g(17944994)a(608750)247677110 (http://clkuk.tradedoubler.com/click?p=21874&a=608750&g=17944994)

Red News
20-04-2014, 06:47 PM
For once we agree with Jamie Carragher asked if he agrees with David Moyes that we played well first half

http://www.awin1.com/cshow.php?s=349246&v=3916&q=164856&r=142018 (http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?s=349246&v=3916&q=164856&r=142018)

“If David Moyes thinks Manchester United played well in that first half I worry for Man Utd”

Red News
20-04-2014, 07:07 PM
But you have to score David. As Moyes happy with the way we controlled the game
“Not the final through pass, not the final finish around the edge of the box but I couldn’t question how we controlled the game and the amount of passes we had.”

Red News
20-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Moyes to MUTV

“We’ve got boys who need games. Jonny Evans is back, we’re trying to make sure that Phil Jones and Chris Smalling, they get their football, but they have got to step up to the challenge, that’s what it is, we can’t afford to give goals away.

We always knew that there was a chance Evans wouldn’t finish all game because he’s had a problem with the sole of his foot, so we’re glad we got him through a good part of the game.”

“We need to finish on a high, we want to finish the season winning all the games and we’ll do everything we possibly can to make that happen.”

Red News
20-04-2014, 07:24 PM
David Moyes at the press conference after the game

“I think that everybody knows we’re on track to make changes and do some different things, we’ve got change, we’re rebuilding, we’ve got things we want to do, but I think today there was things which weren’t that good but there was some things that were good and we need to try and get rid of the bad things and do better with the things that we should have done.”

“Well Danny Welbeck is really important to me and I really value him. As you well know there’s been lots of stories. Well I can only tell you Danny Welbeck is really important, really important to me, really important to Manchester United.”

“Well I think the supporters have been incredibly behind the team and supported the team throughout, I think they’ve realised that it’s been a difficult season, and I think the supporters have supported the team, they understand it’s not been good, I recognise it’s not been good, it needs to be better but so do they.”

E.S.
21-04-2014, 09:55 AM
[7] More wisdom from Jamie Carragher than its hard to disagree with.
"Shinji Kagawa on the left wing must wonder what this English football is all about. Nobody seems to know what’s going on on the pitch or in the dug-out. You can’t see what the plan is, what they’re trying to do"

E.S.
21-04-2014, 10:06 AM
[3] A deservedly smug Martinez explains why he thinks Everton won
"You work on being adaptable, with where you are in the game and what the situation is,"

"It's very pleasing when you've got young players in their early 20s who can cope with those aspects of the game so well.

"We had to be solid, very well organised and the use the dynamic football that we have.

"The way we got into the final third was very enjoyable and then we worked very hard to keep a clean sheet. The manner in which we did that was very pleasing."

E.S.
21-04-2014, 10:07 AM
[5] Rooney sticks with the Moyes line of possession good, defenders bad (well he would do wouldn't he!)
"We're obviously disappointed with the result,"

I thought that in the first half we moved the ball well, but we just didn't penetrate enough.

"We moved the ball quite well and they were struggling to get near us at times, but we just had to try to break them down. They sat quite deep, so we might have needed more width or more runners in behind to create space but it was a difficult game.

"Everyone knows that it's a difficult place to come and Everton made it difficult for us by putting bodies behind the ball, but we conceded two really sloppy goals which we need to cut out because we're making it hard for ourselves to get back into games"

E.S.
21-04-2014, 10:08 AM
[8] Shock horror (not) MUTV didn't like David May saying Moyes was out of his depth
as May was doing some post match analysis on MUTV (and he got told to shut up!)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...on-defeat.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2609306/MUTV-silence-pundit-David-May-former-Manchester-United-defender-says-David-Moyes-depth-Everton-defeat.html)