PDA

View Full Version : David Moyes : The first press conference. The transcript in full

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Q: A lot of people have said this was an impossible job for someone. As you sit there now how do you feel being the manager of Manchester United

A: I feel incredibly privileged to be give the opportunity to manage Manchester United and grateful to Sir Alex and grateful to the board for making it happen. It was a really strange situation for me i had NO idea whatsoever, a lot of people thought that i had known something about the job, i knew nothing about it until Sir Alex gave me a call and asked me to come to his house. I was expecting him to say 'i am going to take one of your players or i'm going to do something else' i wasn't sure what he was going to say to me. and then the first thing he said to me was "I am retiring" and i just said "when" cause he was never retiring was he. And he said "next week" and his next words were "and you're the next Manchester United manager". So i didn't get a chance to say yes or no i was told i was the next Manchester United manager by Sir Alex. For me, that was enough. As you can imagine, the blood drained from my face and i was really shocked. More shocked that Sir Alex had chosen to retire but inside i was incredibly thrilled that i was going to be given the opportunity to manage Manchester United.

Q: It was often said over the years that you were the natural successor to Sir Alex and that you'd be tailor made for this job. I appreciate you've only just arrived, but does it feel a good fit, does it feel like the right place to be for the challenges and excitement that lies ahead?

A: well i don't know yet. time will tell with that. But, you know, any football coach who wants to coach or manage when you look outside any window and you see Old Trafford you have to. It's the place you want to go. Always hoped that when Sir Alex's might come that i might be in for consideration. I also think its a plus for British coaches, that you might have to work through the lower leagues like i did at Preston but you progress and hopefully if it goes well for you then you get the opportunity and its not happened that much for British coaches. So from that point of view hopefully people can see if i can do it then they can do it as well.

Q: Do you feel there is an excitement, sense of trepidation at the enormity of it all

A: Yes, i have to say that whoever was going to take over this club knows that the job taking over from the manager before who was, you know, incredible. Somebody who everybody in football looks up to, world-wide known. His achievements have been, there's probably been no better, he comes from a list of many Scottish managers - Sir Matt, Bill Shankly, Jock Stein and Sir Alex is certainly up with that group of managers.

Q: What do you think you can do to leave your mark on this football club

A: Well all i can do is do what David Moyes has done before. I'll definitely continue with the traditions of Manchester United. But in my own way i'll have to put my own style on the club. Sir Alex had to do it when he took over and it took him a little bit of time. I am very fortunate i am taking over the Champions of England. So from that point of view it gives me a great starting point. Better than most would ever get. So i do hope in my own time i can show that. I have to say that Sir Alex and the board have been unbelievably supportive. They really have. Sir Bobby came to see me as i was as thrilled about than i was about anything. He came in and saw me at the training centre. It was as big a thrill for me as anything. SOmething i certainly enjoyed

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Q: Have you had a chance to speak to Wayne Rooney to clarify his situation given what happened at the end of last season

A: Yeah i've had opportunities to speak, I was just about to say there that its interesting to consider Wayne's only 40 goals behind Sir Bobby .. or 50, i think he's 40 behind Denis Law so err i've had a chance to speak to Wayne, I'm sure its a question on all your lips, you probably couldn't wait to get it out but the fact of the matter is Wayne's not for sale. He's a Manchester United player and will remain a Manchester United player. I've been fortunate, i've known Wayne since he was 16 and some of youse i have seen your faces from my early press conferences as Everton manager. It's like de ja vu really, a similar sort of feeling. but i've had several meetings with Wayne, he's training brilliantly, extremely well. He's come back in good shape and i really look forward to working with him

Q: Has he [Rooney] told you he wants to stay at Manchester United

A: Well what we are doing at the moment is we are looking to see how we can get Wayne Rooney getting those goals which is going to challenge the likes of Bobby Charlton and Denis Law's number. So as far as i'm concerned the way he's working i'm more than happy to keep working with him and make sure we get success.

We are trying to get Wayne to the level where [changes point] not only that we've got a World Cup which hopefully England will be playing in next year, so its for everybody's benefit to try and get him in a position where he's in a state where everybody's thinking he's getting back to the Wayne we all know. And I'm looking forward to helping make that happen

Q: He [Rooney] said he wanted to go last season, is he now saying he wants to stay?

A: We've spoken several times and as far as i've seen it i'm saying that whatever happened before has gone. We're working together now. I see a glint in his eye now. He looks happy. I think he looks like he's saying he's going to knuckle down now and get himself right and i can only say i've been impressed by how well he's done. Lets not kid ourselves. He's a terrific player and i'm really looking forward to, and the club have reiterated he won't be for sale

Q: You say whats gone is gone but the person who made the statement about Wayne Rooney asking to leave he may not be in the job anymore but he's still around, he's still part of the club [Moyes chipped in "very much so"]. Does it not undermine what he says?

A: There was a private meeting between two people. I wasn't privy to that, so whatever happened in that meeting was said. I'm now looking at my period at Manchester United and i'll take it on from there.

Q: Does he want to the club to make it clear he never asked for a transfer?

A: Like i say, i don't know what those two gentleman said when Wayne and Sir Alex met together. The both of them spoke and that conversation was private between them both and as far as i'm concerned i'm really looking forward to working with Wayne and getting him to the levels i know he's capable of and that everybody at Manchester United knows he's capable of

Q: Has Wayne Rooney said to you he categorically does not want to leave this club

A: I can tell you categorically that Wayne Rooney is training fantastically well in the last two days thats all i can tell you (Smiling)

Q: Can you see him ending his career here?

A: If i was Wayne you look at the legends who have played for this club, at the new AON training centre i went down and the pictures they have on the wall. I walked in and you see George Best and Denis Law and Bobby Charlton, Roy Keane i could go on and on and i thought to myself Wayne isn't that far away from that it isn't too difficult to get the goals and if he could do that he would be seen in the same light as many of those people.

[MUFC suit interrupts and asks the journo's to change the subject)

Journo ignores and asks another Waynes questionÖ

Q: Can only Wayne stop this speculation, because obviously with the tour next week and you've stated that Wayne's not for sale but we don't really know what Wayne thinks

A: What i've said is Wayne won't be sold by Manchester United

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Q: Do you feel a little intimidated that Sir Alex is still around at the club?

A: Do you know i actually hope he is sitting in the Directors box because he's been so good. I've already called him 2 or 3 times for some advice on matters. there's been a lot of things said but a big thank you to the staff of Sir Alex, Rene, Mick and Eric. I made a decision to change round, i asked Rene to stay but he felt it was fair on me to give me an opportunity to go it alone. I thank them and i think the thing i am taking over from is that i am taking over from the Champions of England

Q: Even if he is sitting in the Directors box?

A: He's there for advice, he's not there to pressure me. He's the one i told you when i met him he said that you were the name he told the board they should be getting to be the next Manchester United manager

The Glazers have been fantastic since i've spoken to them. Ed Woodward the new Chief Exec, everybody's really helped me and i've got to say the big thing for me is the players. the players have been very good. They responded well and its never easy to go into a new job but you can imagine coming into a job the size of Manchester United and following Sir Alex would be difficult no matter who was sitting here

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Q: So what is success for you in your first season at the club

A: "Success is tattooed right across the badge of this club. My job is to continue that. This club is about winning trophies. I'm looking forward to doing it. I I'm driven to try and succeed. But i won't change myself, won't change me. Hopefully i'll be the same person i was . I'm determined to get the first one on the board.

Q: Relatively speaking, you don't have a comparable record to the coaches linked to this job, might have been circumstances of the club you were about before, but do you have confidence in yourself, particularly in Europe, you have got what it takes?

A: I'm inexperienced in a lot of those things and there were some brilliant managers who they could have easily taken this role, but the biggest confidence I got was Sir Alex saying to me 'You're the next Manchester United manager'

Q: Can you imagine a stronger Manchester City, Chelsea are re-appointing an old manager, do you think you need to do much to your squad to try and keep the distance up that this club established last year at the top of the league

A: They had a great season in the Premier League last season - Manchester United. We will do everything we can to add to the squad. They've always gone after the best players. We'll do everything we can to make sure we stay at the top. I'm looking forward to being given that challenge.

Q: [Two Journo's talked at same time so question muffled]

A: Well anyone who knows me knows i don't talk about players from other football clubs. i think its wrong. Its not my style. The people who know me from Merseyside know i'll answer as many questions as i can but i think when people are in contract at other football clubs its wrong to talk about them. But as i said earlier, just to finish off, this club is always interested in the best players.

Q: What about your moves to bring Phil Neville on board and Giggs swell

A: I wanted to make sure i had connections to what had happened here. I spoke with Paul Scholes as well, he felt he wanted to have some time off with his family. i spoke to Rene. I felt the obvious person was Ryan Giggs and he has been great. I've only worked with jim for two days but he's an incredible football player. Sometimes until you get really close you don't realise. He has been on his Uefa pro licence course, he is taking steps forward and to get him and Phil Neville together, and i wanted to make sure i had some young members of staff behind me as well. and i wanted to know if there was something there i couldn't do then i'd have the people to do it for me.

Q: what are your initial observations on the squad you have inherited and also your thoughts on the start you have been given in the league. It's a pretty tough start.

A: I've not got all the players back yet because a lot of them are still to come back from tournaments. The biggest thing is I've been really impressed by the attitude of this set of players. They've been total professionals. It's a really tough start (to the season). I'm not convinced thats the way the balls have come out of the hat when that was getting done. but you have to play everyone twice, but I've never seen a Manchester United side get a tougher start to a season.

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Q: How will a David Moyes Manchester United side play?

A: I hope the same way, i hope with the same traditions, i hope entertaining and exciting football, but the biggest thing in football is to win and the job here is to win.

Q: It was always felt Alex Ferguson's had to win and be entertaining, is that part of your remit?

A: I hope so, i hope that'll be the way, but i would always put winning at the top of the list. i don't think i'd ever change from that. and i'm sure Sir Alex would as well. I think you can have great entertaining teams, but if you don't win it doesn't get you anywhere. SO i think you have to get the balance right. Hopefully i can

Q: Is one of the biggest challenges the expectation from supporters that United can be 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go and still expect to win?

A: Well i think they've proved that they do and that the players that can come on and win them games. It's been incredible so hopefully that won't change and hopefully i'll have that same magic touch that Sir Alex used to have at times when he made remarkable decisions which got them results from nowhere at times

Question on what he has said to the squad.

A: well not everybody is here. It wasn't as if i could go in and say to everybody this is how i see it working. Half of them are still away now. So that'll come in time. i had a word with the players and said that I was surprised that Sir Alex was retiring but I told them he wanted me to take the job and hoped they respect that and that we work together and try to be successful together.

Q: is there one piece of advice that Sir has given you that sticks out

A: it was incredible when i met him and within half an hour he was talking about the squad of players i have and it was a period for me when i couldn't believe it and obviously at that time i was sworn to secrecy because Sir Alex was keeping his retirement private until the right moment. I only knew a couple of days before we played Liverpool when i got the call. He said a lot of things to me about the club, how great it was, the people who work for it and he felt i could take it on. He told me things that could be improved on so he was very honest in his assessment.

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Q: What has he [Sir Alex] said to you about Wayne's situation

A: He [Sir Alex Ferguson] said you've got a very big player there [in Wayne Rooney], who in recent seasons has made a big impact in games, scored a lot of goals, but all the things he said about the squad were positive

Q: You said not everybody is here, obviously you go on tour next week, logistically who is not going to go?

A: We have a few injury doubts and people coming back from injury so that would be the doubts. there is a little bit of doubt about ashley young, chris smelling, Nani's had an operation on his nose. There's a few but they still may go but i won't know until they are back in or they've had an assessment

Q: what about Zaha, Kagawa and Hernandez?

A: Zaha's due in for training on Tuesday, we'll assess that when he comes in. Kagawa will be involved in the leg in Japan, Hernandez isn't coming out because he's just finished with the confederations cup

Q: How much is the pressure to win the league title again given it will be seen as failure if you don't retain it?

A: I know the job in hand, but i'm sure when Sir Alex took over the job he knew the job in hand and he had some hard years initially. Fortunately he has left me a squad that is capable of winning the Premier League title

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Q: what does it say that you've been handed a six year contract. The seems to be a statement of intention from the club

A: Yes it was, i have to say i've found the people at the club fantastic. they want continuity, they want longevity, they are not a club that make quick decisions, but hen they do they do it the right way,

i have to say that Bill Kenwright has been fantastic over my time at Everton. He was very disappointed when i has to leave. But i'm sure he understands i had to make this move. They've got a very good team and players. All I can say is 'thanks', they've been very good to me

Q: This club had patience with Sir Alex when he wasn't winning anything, you've been given a six year contract, you know you are going to get something to build on, don't you?

A: Well i don't think its just me or Manchester United, i think it should happen throughout football, there's a lot of managers getting sacked quickly, i've been really fortunate that i've worked under Brian Grey at Preston, i've irked under Bill Kenwright at Everton, Two chairman who gave their manager the opportunity to succeed.

i can only tell you that the people i've met so far, the Glazers, Ed, they see it as a long haul and i hope thats the case

Q: Sir Alex told the fans that it was their job to get behind you. What are you expecting from the supporters?

A: Most people in this room have seen how many Manchester United managers in their lifetime? never mind the supporters. its certainly not that many. "I'll be new to a lot of supporters. This a new era but Sir Alex Ferguson will never go away. He'll always be here - you can see his statue, you can see his stand, and he's certainly someone I'll go to. Hopefully, the supporters will realise it was his time to finish and time for someone else."

Q: will it be impossible to match up to what Sir Alex did here?

A: Impossible to manage at this level for 25 years and have his success. I don't think there'll be any other manager who will manager for 25 years at a club like Manchester United at this level.

Q: It must be strange Ė one minute your targeting players for Everton Ė now bigger names for United?

A: Iíve only been the manager since July 1, but before that there was the month of June where I have had a chance to look at things, and yes it does change because it was a different window we would have been shopping in at Everton.

Thatís why I said earlier, this club will always go for the best players, but it will always look to buy the best young players. And a big part of my job is to bring through the young players from the academy

'I think we tried to do that as well as we possibly could at Everton, introduce young players to the team. And it is sort of in the DNA here, looking to bring through the young players.'

Q: Who do you see as your biggest threat?

I think there will be improvements from all of the clubs. I am really pleased to see Jose (Mourinho) back, he is someone who everyone will enjoy working in this country. He has been very successful and I think we will enjoy having Jose back in the Premier League again.

I have come across Manuel Pellegrini a couple of times at Villareal and Malaga, so it will be new to him as well. Probably for the first time there has been quite a big shake-up in the Premier League and because of that I think there are a lot of things unknown, how things will pan out. I donít think itís just at this club, I think there are a few other clubs where it is similar.'

Q: What would be success for you in your first season in charge at Old Trafford?

A: I actually think it is doing well in all the competitions, not just the Premier League. When you are at Manchester United, my thinking is that you have to go for everything, you attempt to win everything.

Maybe you miss out sometimes, but you have to attempt to win all the trophies. I have done it everywhere else Iíve been, and I will certainly do it here because I have a bigger squad, quality players and a club with the tradition of being use to winning things

Q: Will you look to get Paul Scholes involved at a later date?

A: He has been fantastic, he wanted to give me so much help and direction on things. We spent over an hour on the phone, but he wants to give his family some time now after retirement. But there will be a place for him, we will look to bring him back in when he is ready

Q: Could you have a new signing before United go on tour?

A: I will try, but I couldnít turn round and say yes to that, but I will try if possible. The time is closing in a little bit just now. Always with a new manager, the players want to show they care. The players are working hard. To play for Manchester United, whether you are young or old, there is always a great pressure

Q: Will transfers go down to the wire in this window?

A: I think things might be done a little bit later this year, partly because there are quite a few new managers in so not everything will be done right away, but if you had the ideal position you would try to get the players in as soon as you could

Q: Do you have an agreement with Everton and Bill Kenwright that you will not return to sign former players Ė Leighton Baines for example?

A: I donít think that is the case. Bill has been fantastic to me, they have got a great staff, a very good team and very good players. Iíve brought some of my staff with me as well, all I could ever say is thanks for what Everton did for me

E.S.
06-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Love this site, value all our efforts? We bring you the best news service around, for Manchester United fans wherever you may be in the world, but we survive on the support of our readers. A site run by matchgoing Reds, for Reds. Support us. (http://www.rednews.co.uk/support-red-news.php (http://www.rednews.co.uk/support-red-news.php)) Every order counts towards the costs of keeping the site and Fanzine running

The current fanzine - http://www.rednews.co.uk/current-issue.php (http://www.rednews.co.uk/current-issue.php)
or a subscription - http://www.rednews.co.uk/subscription.php (http://www.rednews.co.uk/subscription.php)
United themed items from the shop - http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/index.php (http://www.rednews.co.uk/shop/index.php)
or via Amazon - http://www.rednews.co.uk/amazon.php

(http://www.rednews.co.uk/amazon.php)For just £13.50 a year you get complete access for this site - you get exclusive access to our VIP Forums AND the news on one page rather than having to click 'read more' each time. You also get one free mag included, and you get to choose which mag issue you want. (if you are already a mag subscriber we'll add one on to the end of your sub) http://www.rednews.co.uk/vip.php (http://www.rednews.co.uk/vip.php) (http://www.rednews.co.uk/amazon.php)